It’s a New Presidential Campaign for 2016 beginning right now! Get involved. Get out the information. Help us help you help Our Area. GET OUT THE VOTE! Get ON your ASS and Vote Democratic ONLY! Remember: a vote for a republican is a vote for the tea party!View full post
On Saturday, October 10th, 2015 Governor Jerry Brown signed into law measures which will eventually make voter registration automatic for ALL California citizens who get or renew a California drivers license. The bill was a priority of newly elected Secretary of State Alex Padilla, who championed its provisions during his election bid. This makes California …View full post
How to Get Out of the Cycle of Outrage in a Trump World – The following is an excerpt from The Huffington Post
If we live in a perpetual state of outrage, Trump wins.
So whatever you do, don’t just let yourself get stuck in the outrage storm — that particular weather pattern is likely to be here for a long time. Remember, you have the power to step out of the storm, think carefully about how best to channel your valuable energy, and then take action. And there are so many ways to do that.
Laura Moser is a freelance writer and mother in Washington, D.C. After the election, she found she couldn’t disengage. So to channel her energy, and that of others as well, she created Daily Action, a daily text people can sign up for that gives them one concrete and specific action to take. In just a matter of weeks, she’s amassed over 100,000 subscribers. One is Aaron Becker, an author from Massachusetts. “People are feeling fatigue,” he told the Washington Post . “We are not really designed as human beings to take on the responsibility of everything at once.” But since channeling his energy in a specific way, he’s gotten a measure of control back in his life. “Now I feel like I can turn off my browser window and do some work,” he said.
And there are plenty of other groups doing a similar thing — making it easy to channel that outrage in productive ways that can change outcomes.
•The Indivisible guide bills itself as a “practical guide to resisting the Trump agenda,” and also shows you how to get involved with one of the over 4,500 local indivisible groups that have already been started.
• 5 Calls gives you five calls that you can make in five minutes.
• The Resistance Manual is an open source guide to taking action on a range of issues.
* The First 100 Days Resistance Agenda – Robert Reich provides a template for a sustained and powerful opposition
#ResistTrumpTuesday is a way to do more than call! Show up at their offices on Tuesdays!
Take Political Action: Contact LaMalfa, Feinstein, Harris
Make 6 contacts to legislators a day!
Oppose H.J.Res.69 which allows mother wolves,coyotes, bears, and their young to be killed in their dens in wildlife refuges. It also allows trapping bears using body gripping snares and traps, baiting and hunting bears from airplanes. Baiting and killing mothers and young in their dens is not humane and violates any ethics for sport hunting. Terrorizing animals from planes and running them to exhaustion is neither humane or sporting. Studies do not show that the slaughter of predators will lead to an increase in populations of ungulates, the supposed reason for these changes.
Support “We the People Amendment”: Co-sponsor H.J.R. 48 Don’t let corporate rule destroy Democracy
Support ACA, Medicare, and Medicaid: Don’t take away health care from millions. Americans need access to quality, affordable health care.
Support transparency in government: Co-sponsor a bill which nullifies presidential gag rules. Information from public agencies that is not related to national security should be available to the public free of obstacles which impede the Freedom of Information Act. American tax payers are supporting these agencies, we demand access to the information they gather.
Oppose HR 621 which allows the federal government to sell certain federal lands identified as suitable for disposal. Once these land are sold, the public will no longer have access to them. Don’t let corporate greed destroy these lands for personal financial gain at the expense of the public.
Oppose HR 622 which eliminates law enforcement functions of forest service and BLM replacing them with block grants to states. Without specificity for conducting law enforcement, states may choose not to use funds for law enforcement. These areas could be pilfered and destroyed. Ensure ongoing protection.
Oppose HR 861 which terminates the EPA. Our environment must be protected for ourselves and future generations. We must have clean air, clean water, and healthy environments.
Support H.R. 699 which would require a congressional declaration of war before the President could launch a first- strike nuclear attack. President Trump has not shown the knowledge, experience, objectivity, or judgment to have control of our nuclear arsenal. We need congress to help represent the needs of American citizens.
Oppose H.J. Res. 54. This resolution would let corporations avoid paying a part of the taxes they owe. It would undo a rule that was passed to prevent big corporations from reaping millions of dollars in tax breaks by suddenly claiming it was a foreign corporation when it was still headquartered in the U.S. All corporations must pay their fair share of taxes.
Support HR 816, the Federal Accountability in Chemical Testing Act, which would require federal agencies to provide detailed accounting on the animals they are using and the advances they have made in developing, validating, accepting and utilizing alternative test methods to replace animal use. It is time to end the use of animals in research. We must develop and use alternative testing methods which do not require the use of live animals.
Oppose any legislation which would allow oil and gas drilling in in our national parks. Americans do not want their national parks defaced or their access to park lands limited by the activities of fossil fuel industries which seek private profit.
Senators Harris and Feinstein
Oppose S.J. Res. 18 which would take way protections for wildlife in national wildlife refuges. It would allow killing black bears and wolves at den sites, baiting brown bears, and killing body gripping traps and snares to kill black and brown bears. None of these methods of hunting are humane and decisions to implement the law are based on unproven efforts to increase ungulate populations.
Senator Harris co-sponsor S. 274 which was introduced by Sen. Feinstein. It nullifies the effect of the executive order banning refugees and people from 7 Muslim majority countries. Trump’s order is based on fear mongering, bigotry, and xenophobia which is counter to mainstream American values.
Oppose H.J. Res 44 which was passed by the house and seeks to overturn Planning 2.0, a rule which provides new opportunities for public input on how public lands are used. Planning 2.0 includes steps needed to ensure that important fish and wildlife habitats are intact ecosystems and has established procedures for preparing, revising, or amending land use plans.
Support S. 200 which would require a congressional declaration of war before the President could launch a first- strike nuclear attack. President Trump has not shown the knowledge, experience, objectivity, or judgment to have control of our nuclear arsenal. We need congress to help represent the needs of American citizens.
Oppose H.J. Res. 54 which would let corporations avoid paying a part of the taxes they owe. It would undo a rule that was passed to prevent big corporations from reaping millions of dollars in tax breaks by suddenly claiming it was a foreign corporation when it was still headquartered in the U.S. All corporations must pay their fair share of taxes.
Support HR 816, the Federal Accountability in Chemical Testing Act, which would require federal agencies to provide detailed accounting on the animals they are using and the advances they have made in developing, validating, accepting and utilizing alternative test methods to replace animal use. It is time to end the use of animals in research. We must develop and use alternative testing methods which do not require the use of live animals .
Oppose the Congressional Review Act which would gut a number of public safeguards now and in the future. This could stop vital protections to health and safety including the BLM’s work to cut methane emissions and hold fossil fuel companies accountable for their emissions. It could also cut EPA’s protections for vulnerable communities living near high-risk chemical facilities.
Demand that the Oversight Committee investigate Trump’s conflict of interests between his personal business and protecting the interests of the American people. American citizens should not be short changed if Trump seeks to advance his personal empire by creating a “bad deal” for Americans. The presidency has never been sanctioned as a tool for personal gain.
Demand that the Oversight Committee investigate Flynn’s involvement in Russian interference of the election and whether there are other campaign officials involved. The interference of Russia in American elections can not be undervalued. The American people must know the extent to which American campaign officials are involved. We need to know if Trump had any knowledge of Flynn’s actions, and if he condoned them.
Support transparency in government and Co-sponsor a bill which nullifies presidential gag rules. Information from public agencies that is not related to national security should be available to the public free of obstacles which impede the Freedom of Information Act. American tax payers are supporting these agencies, we demand access to the information they gather.
Oppose any legislation to allow the mentally ill to purchase guns. Mentally ill individuals should be entrusted with the responsibility to use guns responsibly.
Support Title X Family Planning Funding which provides funding for family planning and health care services. These services are important to all Americans who want to have access to family planning options!
The following entries are a partial record of Trump’s executive orders and directives. Entries are posted according to the week of his presidency that they occurred. Most recent weeks will be at the top.
Third Week of the Trump Presidency
• Shut down the White House comment line. Afterwards he made the comment that no one was upset about the re-issuance of permits for the Keystone XL Pipeline and the Dakota Access Pipeline as he had received no comments.
• Issued a unilateral directive to stop the addition of any new protections for health and safety, finance, the environment, or the workplace.
• When questioned by a commentator about Putin’s war crimes including the mass killing of civilians and aggression against neighboring countries including the annexation of Crimea, Trump asserted that the U.S. was just as bad.
• Vowed to destroy the Johnson amendment which does not allow religious organizations to participate in or intervene in any political campaign for or against a candidate if they want to keep their tax free status.
• Claimed that over 70 terrorist attacks were unreported by the media. News media provided records that his statement was false.
• Claimed that the military action in Yemen, which resulted in the death of a navy seal and possibly as many as 30 civilians, was a success.
• Criticized Nordstrom for dropping his daughter’s clothing line.
• During a gathering of sheriffs, a question was asked about search and seizure. A sheriff complained that a state senator wanted to prevent seizure until after a conviction. Trump asked for the name of the senator and then said he would destroy the senator’s career.
• When deportations were begun in 6 states, trump said that estimates of 100 people being deported were grossly exaggerated. Over 160 were deported.
• Continues to maintain that 1000’s of voters were bussed from Massachusetts to vote fraudulently in New Hampshire.
• Re-implemented the Global Gag Rule which affects 27 million couples and women who can no longer receive contraception.
Second Week of the Trump Presidency
• A failed military action initiated by Trump resulted in the death of a navy seal and perhaps up to 30 civilians including 10 women and children. Critics indicated that the strike had not been thoroughly planned and had not had sufficient intelligence gathering. Trump advisors tried to blame the Obama administration for the tragedy, but the facts revealed that the Obama administration had no involvement with this action.
• Issued an executive order to require 2 regulations to be removed for any new one that is added.
• Ordered the USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service to delete all information pertaining to the use of animals in federally funded research from its website. Even updates on court cases that have not been adjudicated were removed.
• Failed to mention Jews on International Holocaust Remembrance Day.
• Trump instructed his female staff to dress like women.
• Trump has begun his assault on Dodd-Frank, the Wall Street Reform and Protection Act, a protection for American citizens.
• Threatened to cut federal funding for U.C. Berkeley when outside agitators intervened in a peaceful student protest, a direct violation of 1st amendment rights.
• Threatened consequences to Iran for launching a missile. The missile launch that was not prohibited in the treaty that was signed.
• Argued with the Australian Prime Minister over treaty obligations requiring the U.S. to accept refugee
First Week of the Trump Presidency
• Banned Muslims from 7 different majority Muslim countries from immigrating to the U.S. None of the targeted countries or their citizens have been tied to terrorist attacks in the U.S. Shamefully, Trump did not ban Muslims from majority Muslim countries where he had personal business holdings even if they were countries from which terrorists have been harbored or supported by their governments such as Saudi Arabia and Pakistan.
• Deleted all reference to climate change information from the White House website.
• Issued gag orders regarding the exchange of climate change information in federal agencies.
• Reinstated the Global Gag Order which eliminates funding for contraception to any foreign non governmental agency which counsels clients about abortion.
• Reactivated the Keystone Pipeline and ordered the Corps of Engineers to expedite their review of the Dakota Access Pipeline.
• Directed the Army Corps of Engineers and the Department of the Interior to determine how best to proceed with constructing the “Wall for which Mexico will pay”.
• Issued deportation orders for undocumented immigrants who have been accused of a crime even if they weren’t ever brought to court and threatened penalizing “Sanctuary Cities” with loss of federal funding.
• Withdrew from the TPP and expressed his intent to reopen negotiations of NAFTA.
• Hinted that the U.S. may have another chance to go back into Iraq and take its oil. (Critics believe this statement could place our soldiers at risk and constitute a war crime!)
*Offended the Chinese by entering into diplomatic relations with the Taiwanese government.
Trump Gets Navy Seal killed By Moving Forward On Operation Without Sufficient Intelligence – Sarah Jones
Donald Trump bungled his first operation as Commander-in-Chief. Trump ordered the raid without “sufficient intelligence, ground support or adequate backup preparations,” according to a Reuters report. For this, the Trump administration blamed Obama. Again.
Donald Trump bungled his first operation as Commander-in-Chief. Trump ordered the raid without “sufficient intelligence, ground support or adequate backup preparations,” according to a Reuters report.
The Navy SEAL raid on al Qaeda in Yemen over the weekend resulted in the death of U.S. Navy SEAL William “Ryan” Owens and non-combatant civilian deaths, including possibly children, while not producing any militants or taking any prisoners. White House spokesperson Sean Spicer claims that intelligence was gathered, but Spicer’s track record with the truth is less than encouraging.
Ayesha Rascoe for Reuters reported that the military is looking into the possibility of more civilian deaths during the raid, after medics at the scene reported “about 30 people, including 10 women and children, were killed.”
Buckle up for this part because it’s the part where Trump just went in, like he said he would, without even bothering to prepare the basics, “U.S. military officials told Reuters that Trump approved his first covert counterterrorism operation without sufficient intelligence, ground support or adequate backup preparations.”
“As a result, three officials said, the attacking SEAL team found itself dropping onto a reinforced al Qaeda base defended by landmines, snipers, and a larger than expected contingent of heavily armed Islamist extremists.”
A White House official told Reuters that the operation had been signed off by the previous administration in January and had been delayed for “operational reasons.”
From this statement we gather that the Trump White House ordered the raid without looking at any new information. When it went wrong, they blamed Obama.
However, “(O)ne of the three U.S. officials said on-the-ground surveillance of the compound was ‘minimal, at best.’”
And so the decision was made to leave the raid to the new administration in hopes that they could gather better intelligence first, “The decision was made … to leave it to the incoming administration, partly in the hope that more and better intelligence could be collected.”
Perhaps we can agree with the Trump administration that the Obama administration should never have assumed that the Trump administration could or would bother to gather intelligence. After all, Trump keeps telling everyone our intelligence community isn’t worth listening to and he didn’t need intelligence briefings since he is, and I quote, “I’m, like, a smart person.”
The Trump administration’s lack of preparation and attention to detail got a Navy SEAL killed. For this, he blames Obama.
Which, if accurate (and it’s not), would beg the question why doesn’t Trump think he’s supposed to keep on top of current information. If he’s going to rely on old Obama info, perhaps he should step aside and let the man who got Osama lead again.
Instead we are stuck with a petulant child who still expects Obama to do the hard work for him while he obsesses over crowd size and how the country despises him already. Does Trump even know the basics regarding the job?
For the party that drooled over the tragedy of Benghazi, picking through the rubble of personal tragedy to mine for political gold for years, this is an ironic start. They might claim it’s unfair to accuse Trump of getting the SEAL killed, but these are their own standards, set in stone after years of wasting taxpayer money investigating the tragedy in hopes of pinning it on Clinton. When the evidence didn’t comply, they just made things up.
Additionally, failures happen, but it helps to prepare. It helps to trust experts. It helps to respect intelligence reports. If a leader has done none of these things, he or she is to blame for the failure.
It also helps to be accountable for decisions, because it suggests that the leader might be an adult who can learn from their mistakes.
Donald Trump completely blew this raid for reasons that were apparent during the campaign and continue to be problematic.
Intel is not static. This is like step one in the Intelligence Guide for Dummies. Are you scared yet?
Update: The Trump administration misled the press again. It turns out “The specific operation in question was never presented to or considered by the Obama Admin for approval.”
This Week’s 2 Indivisible Actions
If you’re raring to go now, here are two critical issues that local groups are already focusing on around the country:
1) Resist Trump’s Corrupt Cabinet Appointments
Republicans are trying to jam Donald’s racist, sexist, and corrupt cabinet nominees through the Senate confirmation process. Last week Congress tried to gut the ethics office, but they were forced to back down in response to thousands of constituent office visits and calls. This week they’re trying to ram through nominees who have not yet even completed an ethics review. To stop this, we need to make our voices heard again.
The fight starts in Committees, but your two senators will ultimately have a vote on each of these nominees. Make a plan to visit their offices this week to let them know you’re watching whether they stand up to Trump.
2) Defend Healthcare for All Americans
Trump and Republicans in Congress have already begun the process of dismantling the Affordable Care Act. They haven’t ever been able to come up with a replacement proposal, but they’re still moving forward with plans to deprive 30 million people of coverage. You can begin fighting back by calling at least one of your representative’s office numbers every day! Choose a different office each time you call! (Click on LaMalfa Watch for contact information.)
Doug LaMalfa has been our congressional representative for two terms. During his tenure he has shown little concern for the public welfare.
Govtrak.org.us indicates that LaMalfa rarely supports bipartisan bills. In fact, 91% of the bills that LaMalfa supported were of Republican origin. He voted for the government shut down giving government workers an unexpected paid holiday, costing contract government workers lost wages, and denying U.S. citizens access to government services.
LaMalfa has a 14% rating from AFL-CIO based on his lack of support for working families, even opposing workplace safety regulations. He opposes an increase in the minimum wage although current wages keep many working families at the poverty level. He has accepted millions of dollars in farming subsidies, but considers social security an entitlement and wants it privatized and medicare cut. He supports Citizen’s United, and voted against bills which would improve transparency in government and campaign funding. Whom is LaMalfa supporting? Certainly not us!
The U.S. ranks 23rd in the world with regard to women’s equality. Planned Parenthood and Population Connection give LaMalfa a 0% rating on women’s health issues and reproductive rights. He went so far as to vote against the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act and “Equal Pay” legislation.
LaMalfa has also been awarded a 0% rating from the League of Conservation Voters which tracks voting records on environmental issues. He is against EPA regulations which require that permits be issued prior to a business discharging illegal levels of pesticides into lakes and rivers and expanding EPA protection to more waterways.
LaMalfa doesn’t support working families, women, environmental protection, government transparency, and believes corporations are people. Even the HSUS gave him a 0% rating on humane issues. Apparently he doesn’t support humane treatment of animals either.