Eleventh Week of the Trump Presidency
- An estimated 86 civilians were killed by chemical weapons attacks authorized by the Assad regime.
- Trump responds to the chemical attacks by launching 59 Tomahawk missiles to destroy the airport from which the attack was launched. The taxpayer cost is estimated to be over 60 million. The airport was open to planes a few days later.
- Trump made money off the missile launch as he owns stock in Raytheon, the company that builds Tomahawk missiles. Stock values went up for Raytheon after the attack.
- 1,472 civilian casualties have occurred in Syria as a result of U.S. attacks launched by the Trump regime in the month of March.
- Retired, 4 Star General Barry McCaffrey said humanitarian aid would be more effective that P.R. missile strikes. (Imagine what $60,000,000 could do to help the refugee crisis!)
- Trump blamed Obama for the Syrian chemical attack saying that the attacks were a consequence of the past administration’s weakness and irresolution. Congress refused to support military action in Syria when Obama asked for it.
- Trump is accused of taking unauthorized war action by authorizing the missile launch on the airport. Without congressional approval.
- Jeff Merkle held the floor for 15 hours to prevent confirmation of Neil Gorsuch.
- The senate rewrites the rules to confirm Neil Gorsuch as Supreme Court Justice – Rules change involved invoking the “Nuclear Option” which required a simple majority to confirm rather than the 60%. This is the first time in history Justices have not been required to meet the 60% requirement.
- Devin Nunes is no longer in charge of the Russia Investigation by the House Intelligence Committee. He is being investigated for ethics violations.
- Trump removed Bannon from the National Security Council. According to Trump, he is no longer needed to serve on the council as Flynn is no longer there.
- Trump accuses Susan Rice of sharing unmasked information she had as U.N. Ambassador. Rice denies any wrongdoing.
- A federal court overturns a law Pence signed as Governor of Indiana which requires ultrasounds 18 hours prior to an abortion.
- Trump played golf at Mar–a-Lago for the 15th time in 11 weeks.
- Half the jobs in the State Department have not been filled or have been filled with temporary officials.
- Trump defended Bill O’Reilly’s sexual harassment by stating, “I don’t think he did anything wrong.”
- The U.S. is providing diplomatic, economic, and military support for the Israeli army’s occupation of Palestinian lands.
- The State Department cut off all funding to UNFPA which provides reproductive health care to nations.
- Counter Intelligence investigation into possible Trump campaign collusion with Russia began last July.
Hillary was NOT to struggling middle class’s best hope.
But thank you, Faith, for all you do!!!
I don’t believe that you feel that Trump was a better choice. The last election had two candidates who were contenders, Trump and Hillary. The other candidates did not have any chance of winning the election. To my mind, not voting for Hillary was a vote for Trump. We now have a Trump presidency. Are you happy with the outcome? I am mortified. The question is, what will you do to help stop the attack on progressive legislation that people like me have fought for, for the last four or more decades.